Saturday, 31 January 2009

Ninja cat


About 2 weeks ago I went to KT, not for voting but rather for visiting family. Too bad I didn't register. On my way there, the bus I was on stopped at Putra Bus Station as they usually would. There, PAS youth were waiting for us & other travelers. We received a bag filled with some reading materials, an orange & a drinking water. It was a cunning move IMO, as BN gave some of these travelers $$ for their travel. Before we reached Kemaman at the Terengganu, the bus was stopped for a check-up by the horde of police that was already converging in KT since the start of the by-election. Nothing much happened during this check-up & also for the rest of my travel. The roads leading up to the center of KT were lined by police buses & trucks. At every corner in KT there was police stationed. They were there mainly observing really as KT people were reasonable people & no messy quarrel ever erupted. Nevertheless, opinions differed on the presence of the mass number of police. Some felt safer while others felt threatened. I didn't care. I always think that being cautious is always good but also wondered why so much police + FRUs were needed (reported to be 6000). The roads were also covered with posters, where BN's poster outnumber PKR's by 10:1 as expected. These posters were even guarded day & night. On Friday, the day prior to voting, the Friday sermon was on how to choose your leader. Choose the one who is pious, god-fearing & responsible said the imam. Of course, the mosque I was in is located at an area known to be PAS stronghold. Otherwise, the sermon would be about being thankful of the continued development of country/state. I think. After all this, I didn't even went out to see the actual voting day. What I heard there was mockings for  wearing a particular colour & people queing for $$$ after declaring to have voted for a particular party. 

No comments: