Saturday, 9 August 2008

Random reverie

Its interesting to note that when you're outside your country, you get to feel like an outsider observing what's going on. You get new perspective from the change of background. You get to select what to take in, instead of being immersed in the happenings itself. Additionally, you get inputs from true outsiders and how they see the events pan out. Perhaps, one of the perks doing an OE is you get to stand back, observe from a neutral point of view and piece the pictures together how you see it fit. For years, I have been following Malaysia's progress through The Star newspaper. Out of all the mainstream Malaysian newspaper, The Star was the one which I perceived less biased toward government (or to be frank BN). It is a known fact the Malaysian mainstream media are BN's organ of propaganda. Hence, on occasions, Harakah, Malaysiakini and Malaysia Today would have to be referred to in order see the point of view from the other side when suspicions arise. I do have reservation of some of the reporting of these 'alternative media' as they can be overly negative of the government (when the negativity is inappropriate) and sometime, emotionally charged. However, since the recent election, some articles from The Star where ambiguous in its reporting with apparent concealment of facts and very selective presentation. Hence, these alternative media have been resorted more often. All I'm saying is, check out alternative point of view as well if you haven't done so. This shouldn't be news to most people, just thought I ramble on this thing just in case some people missing out...

No comments: